Monday, January 16, 2012

Nepeta govaniana, Yellow catmint


Yellow Catmint 
 Nepeta govaniana
I hadn't done my homework on this perennial before planting it. I thought that if it is a "catmint" it will like a hot open position and will not be too concerned about getting a drink over summer. Wrong on both counts. It is native to the Himalayas from Pakistan to Uttarkhand growing at an altitude of 3000 metres so it really should be in a cool shaded position and probably in a cooler climate. I am not really convinced that it is particularly garden worthy as the flowers are fairly small and insignificant . The leaves have since burnt off but that is entirely my fault .The plant forms a small loose open clump to about 60cm. Score out of ten? I give it a five but maybe if I move it next autumn it may improve its rating.

No comments:

Post a Comment