Sunday, March 4, 2012

Buddleja davidii 'Joan'


Buddleja davidii 'Joan'
I can't find any information about plantswoman Joan Head for whom this cultivar is named though its origin is from a garden in the U.K. What I like about this one is that the flowers mostly point upwards and they are big and fat to boot. The Buddleias are having a second flush of flowers perhaps stimulated by this very 'English' weather we are experiencing of drizzle, rain and then some more rain. I am not sure how big 'Joan' eventually grows but I believe it is one of the more compact varieties so may only reach a couple of metres tall. Butterflies love it and my favourite one, the blue triangle, is making an appearance at the moment in the garden.
Just for the record Buddleia is also spelt with an i not a j.

No comments:

Post a Comment