Friday, October 15, 2010

yet another weather event

I am trying to come to grips with the various meteorological explanations for the increased rainfall patterns we have been experiencing. From what I can gather it is the result of the unusually high sea temperature in the north of Australia at the moment. When the resulting warm moisture laden winds move south and hit a cold band of air coming from further south, heavy rain eventuates and strong winds also occur. The good news is that some dam levels have gone from under 20 percent to capacity levels and bumper crop harvests are expected. Cooler temperatures have slowed the germination and planting of summer crops in the vegetable garden. My eggplant seedlings have hardly moved and the corn is shy of germinating at all. The strong wind today set me back by weeks when a sudden gust of wind overturned all my trays of newly planted seeds. Gardening life is never easy......

No comments:

Post a Comment