Friday, September 14, 2012

Sarcococca confusa, Sweet Box


  Sweet Box
Sarcococoa confusa

 This plant is ideal to fill that niche of plants to grow in dry shade which have a nice perfume and that can be trimmed to a topiary or hedge shape. Sweet box will also grow across a range of climates from cold to warm temperate. I only planted one underneath a Brugmansia which is well known for its suckering habit and vigorous root system. I probably should have planted about 5 together so that they formed a good dense rounded mass of green to about 1.5 metres high. The flowers appear in winter and last into spring and though they are fairly insignificant they pack quite a punch from something so small. This shrub which belongs to the plant family Buxaceae originates from western China and is a worthwhile addition to any garden. I sold out of the last batch I grew so its popularity seems to be increasing.
2017 update: I am currently out of stock.

No comments:

Post a Comment