Saturday, February 6, 2010

A Collarette Dahlia


It is coming around to the peak flowering time of Dahlias and I really like the simplicity of the Collarette varieties. I saw this one at a show a couple of weeks ago and I like the way the pink colour of the outer petals looks like it has been applied with a watercolour paint brush. The technical term for the outer petals is 'ray florets' and the inner row are 'petaloids' which are usually less than half the length of the rays. The whole flower appears flat with the ray petals having a rounded tip. Collarettes grow to about a metre high and can be used in mixed flower borders or in the vegetable garden. You could get away without staking them as well.

2 comments:

  1. This is just fabulous ... I'm really enjoying the plants that you're showing on this blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the petaloids inner row. It is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete