Thursday, April 30, 2009

Allamanda violacea




Allamanda violacea
This is a rambling lax shrub or climber from Brazil makes quite an impact in the garden. The rich mauve purple flowers are large and showy. It flowers for more than six months of the year and just starts to slow down as the weather cools down For me, it goes deciduous once the minimum temperatures go down below 5C so it can be bare for July and August. In the sub tropics it will remain evergreen .Fairly hardy and not particular as to soil, I have seen it grown as a lawn specimen and still flowering prolifically .It makes a great climber or shrub near the front entrance to houses.
2017 update: I do not have this colour available.



2 comments:

  1. Hi Ian. I'm looking to buy the Allamanda violacea. We're in inner-city Sydney. I can find the white and the golden flowered versions but not this beautiful "purple" colour. Do you have any suggestions?
    Thanks
    Erica
    Love your blog by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't seen this variety in the Sydney nursery trade markets this summer 2011.It is usually sent down from Queensland but the floods may have affected supply

    ReplyDelete